Does Your Child Have An After-school Routine?
Why do children sometimes return from school out of sorts when they were doing perfectly well at the start of the day? When your child gets home from school, they are probably worn out, overstimulated, and definitely eager for their play time. Do you find yourself constantly reminding them what they should be doing when they return home? Constantly reminding and making sure that your child accomplishes their basic daily tasks can be frustrating for you and perceived as nagging by your child. It can also be disruptive to your other family routines.
Akin to a bedtime routine, an after-school routine can be vastly beneficial for your child. An after-school routine can give your child a sense of direction and responsibility. They would learn how to manage their evenings and the time they have before bedtime.
You can help your child fulfill their daily tasks with the right after-school routine. Imagine accomplishing this with no bad attitudes, meltdowns, or stress.
Setting Up a Routine
There is no one-size-fits-all routine. To make after-school routines work for your family, it can take some tweaking to find what works for your child. Here’s one suggestion for your child’s new after-school routine:
- Freshening up – A simple face and hand wash when your child reaches home freshens up their spirit and gets them ready for their after-school routine! Moreover, it is a good hygiene habit.
- Unpacking – Designate a spot in your home where your child should place their school bag. If they have a dirty lunch box, it’s the time to put it in the sink.
- Snack time – A balanced light snack and drink can keep your child energized until dinner time. It can also enhance your child’s mood, facilitating their willingness to move along with their routine.
- Homework – This could be the most dreadful part for most children after a full day at school. However, getting this out of the way would be a big load off your child’s mind! Having a specific workspace may help your child to stay focused.
- Free time – This is the rewarding part of an after-school routine. If your child is able to accomplish the earlier tasks, they can have some time to do whatever they like before dinner!
- Dinner – Having dinner together is a great opportunity for family members to connect and strengthen the family bond. Dinner time also gives you a chance to catch up with your child about their eventful school day.
- Bath – A good bath time plays an important role in your child’s after-school routine. It helps your child relax and have a good night’s sleep.
- Bed time – After a well-accomplished evening, your child is restful and ready for some cuddles and kisses before the lights go off!
Introducing Chores and Responsibilities
When your child has adapted well to their after-school routine, it may be a good time to introduce some other chores and simple responsibilities. Chores make up a good routine and create good habits for your child. A few chores aren’t going to hurt any child who was forced to pay attention and sit still all day.
Every single day, you may have chores assigned to your child that are appropriate for their age. Simple tasks like preparing their own snacks and putting their dirty clothes in the laundry can improve their self-esteem and sense of responsibility. Your child will also learn to be more independent. Remember to praise and encourage them when they complete their chores!
Ideas for Afternoon Chores
Not sure what kind of chores can be included after school? Here are some suggestions:
- Put away clothes
- Fold the laundry
- Clean the bathroom
- Set the table for dinner
- Load or empty the dishwasher
- Tidy up their bedroom (make the bed, pick up toys, etc.)
Help Your Child With Afterschool Learning with JEI
With our after-school learning programs, your child can make better use of their afterschool time. Is there a particular subject your child struggles with? We have programs to help your kids with problem-solving math, reading and writing, English, and math. To assist your child with memory proficiency, enhance creativity, and strengthen analytical and logical skills, we also have an enrichment program, Brain Safari. Different domains of critical thinking are focused on to help increase overall intelligence in our students.
Rather than your child returning home after school and plopping down on the couch in front of a videogame, why not help them have fun and learn at the same time through one of our learning centers’ after-school education programs?If you have any questions regarding JEI Learning Center, please don’t hesitate to contact us.